Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sweet Success!!!

I finally completed a sewing project!  I was worried it was never going to happen.  LOL!

Well it isn't my Swing Dress, that's still being slowly hand basted to the underlining.  I'm really dragging my feet aren't?!  However it is Sewaholic's Pendrell blouse!

I was excited about this pattern because it seemed easy(ier) and would fit nicely in my wardrobe.  I chose a rayon challis I found at Hancock.  It's kind of heavy, and frays like mad...but it's a dream to wear! 


I traced off the largest size and for once I was happy about that.  All the other size lines seemed very confusing.  I made zero pattern modifications and it fits really nicely.  I kept the long length for versatility.  Plus I have a long torso as it is and it's nice to have a shirt that will either stay tucked in or won't show my undies when I sit down! 


Next I'm going to tackle my Beignet pattern.  I have a lovely light grey cotton twill and navy buttons.  I'm a bit concerned though because I relied a lot on Tasia's sew along posts for my blouse (even though the directions were very clear, I like the tips and tricks) and this pattern doesn't have that.  I've also never done buttons before so it's going to be an adventure. 

During my posting hiatus (I'm blaming work) I made homemade Samoas (also known as Carmel De-Lites).  I used this recipe.  They were quite time consuming to make, but the end result was pretty tasty.  Plus you get bigger cookies, and three times as many than the official Girl Scout ones. 
Side-by-Side comparison

I'll still support the Girl Scouts (especially since I remember my days selling cookies), but during the 10 months out of the year I can't get actual Samoas, I can whip these up instead. 

3 comments:

  1. Mia,

    Wow. Your Pendrell is so, so cute! I absolutely love the fabric you chose. The oranges and reds together are so summery!

    Not going to lie, this pattern has been malingering in my stash for months. I'm a bit daunted by the fact that it's designed for pear-shapes, but I might have to bring mine out anyway now. That sleeve detail is just to-die-for. I love how it looks on you!

    Congratulations on an awesome blouse. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary!!!
    I'm more of an hourglass shape than a pear and I was concerned about the sleeves making my broad shoulders look even more like a linebacker's. I'm still a bit on the fence about it, but I suspect some of it comes from just being so used to seeing myself in regular cap sleeves.
    The best part of this pattern is that I didn't need to do an FBA, which is something that really stalled me on my Swing Dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That top is adorable! I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete