Monday, February 7, 2011

It looks like a dress!

I don't have much faith in my sewing skills at this point so the fact that my muslin resembles the picture on the pattern has me pleased.  However tweaks must be had. 

I quickly and poorly basted the zipper in the left side so that's why the one side looks extra wonky.  So one alteration I'll make is the shorten the skirt, which is something I didn't even think of doing while constructing the muslin...doh!  The back seems a little too baggy, but I'm not sure if it's just the pattern or too big.  Also the bodice seems extra baggy on the sides, but this might be my less than stellar gathers. 

Also I found the edge of the midriff piece kept flipping out, do I need to top-stitch closer to the edge, or do I need more length on the bodice, it does hit pretty high?

Also I'm doing a sleeveless version, do you think I should decrease the width of the shoulders?

Now here's a problem...
That's my thumb coming through the side seam.

For some reason my midriff piece didn't reach all the way to the side seam.  I cut the same size as the bodice so I'm not sure what happened.  Did this happen to anyone else?! 

6 comments:

  1. I hear you on the midriff piece. Maybe add the 1/4 inch to both sides. It so great this wasn't your fashion fabric that you found this out on. I think your dress looks great. It seems to fit well, at least from the photos. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think I will add some on the sides, or I should say I have to add some. I'm going to make a 2nd complete muslin I think before I go digging into my fashion fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've done a great job of it. The shoulders look fine to me,(I haven't got that far yet) and it looks like a really good fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty new to competent sewing too, but I think the midriff's flipping may be helped by the stabilizing fabric Casey had mentioned for the final piece. Mine was doing the same up top, but seemed to settle better when I didn't fight the blousing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My midriff piece was too short too, I had blamed it on the other modifications I had made. IMO the shoulders look fine, maybe you should try to pin or baste the seam allowance to see how it looks. Maybe you could make the back darts a little longer? That might help with the bagginess, but take it with a grain of salt because I'm not an expert on fit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ladies for the feedback, it is so appreciated! I'll definitely stabilize my midriff piece (something I failed to do in this muslin) and I hadn't considered adjusting the back dart. I might play with that.

    ReplyDelete